Thursday, November 30, 2017

Bells & Angels

The Guardian Angel of Mount Angel Abbey

As I begin to write, the bells begin to ring across the monastery courtyard. Between the bell tower and my window, a statue of a guardian angel stands in the rainy courtyard. I woke to bells ringing at 5:20. They have names, which I've already forgotten.

I came here on a mini-retreat, bringing my own bag of coffee and zero expectations. As a Protestant visiting a realm of Catholicism and monasticism, this feels more observational than participatory. I am partly here because I read Kathleen Norris' book The Cloister Walk, about her seasons spent at a Benedictine monastery in the Midwest. I made this reservation after finishing the book this past summer when I imagined the weather being exactly what it is at this moment: rainy and gray.

Earlier this month, I thought I knew the reason I was coming here, but that morphed to the real reason: to not need a reason. To simply take time away to rest for no other purpose: no multitasking, not even the justification of a tax-deductible tripas most of my freelance artist-writer life is. I logged no miles driving here, even though I will spend this morning in the curvilinear, mid-century library looking through books on Saint Teresa for a current writing project. Therein the happy problem when your work is your love: what does rest look like?

The guardian angel stands, implacable, in the rain. I write like I'm trying to rest: with no purpose. I see the angel. I hear the bells. I drink my coffee. I stare at my socked feet, propped up on the squeaky bed I slept fitfully in. Soon, the library will open. Before long, I'll start craving not just spirit food but food for this body. Maybe I'll eat the kale-beet salad I brought. Maybe I'll walk into town and treat myself to spaetzle at the German restaurant. Maybe I'll fill myself with bells. I have learned to live with hunger.

The angel keeps watch. The bells will ring again soon.

3 comments:

Beate said...

This brings back memories of my high school retreat at a catholic abbey in Muenster/Germany. It was called Exerzitien - exercises and it was five days of silence. We each had a room with bare essentials, common bath, early prayers, walks in the gardens, no talking, more prayer. I believe if I could go back now, I would enjoy and appreciate it more deeply.

So glad that you are having this time to yourself to reflect, research, and just be in the present moment.

Beate

CVTGYRL said...

Having a goal-less goal -- to simply be -- to let it be -- all for thee -- ALL FOR THEE. XO

nandiane33 said...

All I can say is ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.